Review: The Swan Maiden by Jules Watson

 

Rating:  5/5

The Swan Maiden is a novel based on the Irish legend of "Deirdre of the Sorrows", written by J.M. Synge.  When Deirdre was a babe, the druid Cathbad  prophesied that she would grow into a great beauty and bring about the downfall of their land.  Ignoring requests that the babe be killed, the King of the Ulaids, Conor decides to hide the child with plans to marry her when she becomes of age.  Conor enlists the help of Levercham, who teaches Dierdre the ways of the Druids.  Attempts to dissuade Conor from his mission of marrying Deirdre fail time and again, much to Levercham's dismay.  When Dierdre hears of this, she can no longer wait around, being fattened up like a pig for the day when Conor comes to collect her.  She runs away and crosses paths with three brothers, Red Branch soldiers famous for their fighting skills, and they decide to help her.  When Conor hears that Deirdre has fled and who she is with, he is beyond furious and pulls no stops to get her back.  Naisi and Deirdre eventually fall in love and despite the brothers' aching for home and their fellow Red Branch soldiers, they find a place of their own and settle in (for a while at least).  They are found and persuaded home with the promises of forgiveness, only to be betrayed by their King, again.  The rest you should read for yourself, I don't want to give it all away!

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!!!  See, I even put three exclamation points after that sentence, just to make sure you grasp the emotion! Ha!

What I really enjoyed about The Swan Maiden was the way Jules writes about the connection with nature and animals that Deirdre feels.  She describes scenes and it's like you're there (or at least you really, really want to be).  I could even stomach the hunting scenes which I usually skim over.  So many descriptive words come to mind when I think about this book - mythical, surreal, spiritual, magical, echanting.  And the love between Deirdre and Naisi...aaahhh pure magic....the connection they have with each other is so powerful and Jules writes it so well!!

Readers you are in for a treat with this one, you will not want to put it down!  Thanks to Jules Watson for sharing such a wonderful story with me, one that I'll remember for a long time!

Stay tuned, Jules Watson will be here soon for an interview!


20 comments:

  1. Wow.. Amy who can argue with three Loves and three exclamation points? I liked your review and I am wanting to read this one. Pretty cover too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved Deirdres sad story.
    Would want this book but then again, I do want my happy endings so..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of Deirdre's myth but after reading your review I am so getting this book. The enthusiasm just jumps off th web page and your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already have this on my TBR list because it sounds soo good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I haven't even heard of this book, but it's going on my wish list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the White Mare to read. Great review, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want to read this. And btw I just figured out who you were on HF.online. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not realize that this novel was a retelling of Deirdre's story-guess I'll be ordering it! But the tale is not original to Synge...there are versions of the original legend all over. It's under "Fate of the Sons of Usnach" in "Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster," by Lady Gregory. Also, awhile back Mychael and Jeff Danna made a CD, "A Celtic Tale," which is like a film score for the legend. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this certainly sounds like an amazing book. Thanks for sharing the review...I guess I will just have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely loved this as well! Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So how do you feel about this book, Amy? I read Marg's very positive review as well, and I already have this on my list at the library. After this review I'm tempted to unfreeze my hold and get it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to get around to reading this! I have had it since it came out...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so want this book. Definitely tuning in for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitely be back for the interview. Have you read her Dalriada Trilogy? They are fantastic, one of my favorite HF series! I read them several years ago and now I can't wait to read The Swan Maiden. Thank you for a great review.

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds so good Amy. Who wouldn't want to read it with such a glowing recommendation. Great cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds awesome Amy! I just added it to my TBR. BTW, you really need to lay off adding to my TBR like this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy, you are the very first recipient of the Inspirational Review Award at Royal Reviews. You don't have to do anything but you can display the button on the sidebar of your blog with a link to Royal Reviews if you'd like to. Hope you like it, this was a great review!

    http://theroyalreviews.blogspot.com/2009/05/inspirational-review-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have this book on my TBR list thanks to your review. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    I have tagged you for the Meme: Favorite Things.
    I hope you will play along.

    Here is the link:
    http://ibeeeg.blogspot.com/2009/05/favorite-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really liked the story but thought the middle was a little slow and got bogged down by too much wandering around the forest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Passages to the Past
All rights reserved © 2013

Custom Blog Design by Blogger Boutique

Blogger Boutique